Positioning Identity at the Center of Security
When we began working with Ping Identity, the company was known as a leader within the niche IT market segment of identity access management (IAM). Our challenge was to position Ping Identity and therefore “identity” as a critical layer of the evolving IT security stack amid the massive shift to cloud and mobile computing. At the same time, Bateman Group has been tasked with depositioning Ping Identity against competitors like Okta.
As mobility and the cloud make enterprises truly borderless, protecting endpoints, cloud apps, networks or email requires a standard way to manage user data created by the explosion of different devices, systems and human workflows. This situation is changing the role of identity, shifting away from pure access management to a foundational layer of the modern IT security stack. Against that backdrop, Bateman Group’s strategy revolved around driving consensus with Ping Identity’s executive team on a clear, compelling and consistent narrative focused on the rise of “identity-defined security.” The storylines resulting from our consensus-based, creative process have served as our compass for a steady stream of executive thought leadership, corporate features, technology deep dives and customer evangelism.
In addition, Bateman Group has remained focused on building reciprocal relationships between Ping Identity’s founder and CEO Andre Durand and a targeted segment of the most influential enterprise IT and security media. These include senior writers and editors at Bloomberg, CIO, DarkReading, Forbes, IDG, InfoWorld and TechCrunch.
A sampling of media resulting from our strategic approach includes:
- Infographic conceptualized, researched and produced by Bateman Group about the role of identity in IT security that set the stage for Ping Identity’s $40 million funding round led by KKR.
- In-depth feature on Ping Identity and the evolving role of identity within IT security in Forbes.
- Thought leadership article ghostwritten on behalf of Ping Identity CEO Andre Durand, placed in TechCrunch.
- Technical deep dive on identity-centric security in InfoWorld.
- Corporate profile on Ping Identity in TechCrunch designed to deposition Okta’s focus on SMBs and relative business performance.
By focusing on the evolving IT security stack, Bateman Group positioned identity as a central component to modern enterprise cybersecurity. The campaign resulted in consistent and prominent “identity-defined security” messaging featured in dozens of high-profile articles since debuting the positioning less than one year ago.
As a result of the campaign, Ping Identity has emerged as the leader within the more lucrative enterprise market relative to Okta’s focus on SMBs. Ping Identity leads all competitors in earned media share of voice and analyst market rankings.