We’re Hiring a Content Strategist in SF or NYC
The Bateman Group Content Studio is adding a content strategist to our team of former journalists, storytellers, and creative and digital strategists. Together, we’re influencing significant stories in technology, working with clients ranging from stealth startups to the Fortune 100.
Since veteran technology writer Elinor Mills (formerly CNET, AP, IDG and Reuters) joined Bateman Group as our first content hire in 2012, we’ve advanced our vision as a studio, added new services, and brought on talent including James Niccolai, a 20-year journalist from IDG News Service, and Chris Heine, formerly tech editor at Adweek. Most recently, we hired Caleb Bushner, previously chief strategy officer at Free Range, to lead our digital strategy group.
As a content strategist, you’ll work closely with this dream team and several technology accounts. You’ll manage content programs for our clients — partnering with C-level spokespeople to develop unique perspectives on industry trends, writing everything from op-eds to data reports, and designing campaigns to extend the impact of these stories. You’ll also create new services for the agency, mentor junior writers and improve the quality of our writing overall.
You’d be a good fit for the content strategist role if you’re a creative, critical thinker with professional writing chops who works well on a team and in partnership with clients.
Read more about the job below and apply here if this opportunity matches up with your skills and interests.
Here’s what you’d be doing day-to-day as a content strategist:
- Write bylined articles/op-eds in partnership with client contacts and executive spokespeople
- Work with executives to develop strategic content with unique points of view by leading interviews and conducting industry research
- Facilitate workshops and executive thought leadership platforms with C-level clients
- Take charge of editorial programs, working with our team and freelance writers to manage content development and placement with top publications
- Expertly edit content from team members at all levels to improve structure, clarity, concision, voice and tone; recommend strategies for strengthening writing of all kinds
- Shape strategies for extending story ideas into campaigns that might include bylined articles, data reports, blog posts, social media programs, and other digital content
- Counsel clients on content strategy, mapping our ideas and recommendations to business and communications goals
- Work with account team leads to manage program goals and budget; partner with senior leads to upsell and expand programs
- Manage and mentor junior team members; create resources to nurture writing talent at the agency
- Support new business presentations and participate in pitches
- Lead an agency marketing initiative (e.g., blog, social media) and contribute to our team’s thought leadership efforts
Here’s what we’re looking for in a candidate:
- Writing: You’re an exceptional writer with 5+ years experience in technology journalism, PR, content marketing or publishing. You’re versatile; you can write a customer case study, craft a thought leadership byline for a C-level executive and draft a lighthearted blog post. You have general knowledge of at least two market sectors relevant to our clients, with experience publishing content in at least one of the following domains: enterprise technology/digital transformation, fintech/financial services, cloud/infrastructure, management/leadership, or life sciences.
- Strategy: You’re a critical thinker who can recommend ways to reach the right audience(s) and help our clients achieve their communications and business goals. You understand the landscape of outlets publishing contributed content and can discern what topic and format would be most fitting for a given outlet. You know the fundamentals of content marketing and can recommend new, creative ways to tell our clients’ stories.
- Thought leadership: You’re able to shape thought leadership content for our clients and develop points of view that advance industry conversations. You’re comfortable counseling clients and interviewing executives to build this content. You’re able to tailor your writing to match the voice and authority of a veteran industry executive. You also have the research and reporting skills to write a compelling byline from scratch if necessary.
- Editing: You’re an excellent editor who can identify ways to improve any writing, whether it’s line edits informed by a firm knowledge of AP Style or high-level feedback. You’re also able to provide counsel and constructive feedback to more junior writers on staff.
- Program/project management: You’re organized and capable of overseeing multiple programs at once. You can manage deadlines, delegate effectively and break big projects into smaller parts.
- Travel: While this role doesn’t involve weekly travel, it does require that you can travel to and from client/new business meetings as needed.
Bonus points for any of the following:
- Established relationships with contributed content editors at top business and technology publications
- Speechwriting chops
- Experience developing video, audio or interactive content
- Experience in analyzing raw data for release in reports/articles
- Team or direct report management experience
- Experience pitching new business
- Experience with social media management, SEO/SEM, digital advertising, social listening or web analytics
- Prior agency experience