We’re Looking for a Senior Designer to Help us Tell Visual Stories
We believe that stories have the power to change the world — and the ways in which we tell those stories is constantly evolving. Bateman Group expanded our digital practice last year to help clients tell their stories with new, multimedia dimensions. Now, we’re excited to hire a senior designer in our San Francisco or New York office to play a pivotal role in making those stories visual, and therefore more impactful.
We’re looking for a designer who’s like us: passionate about good storytelling and their craft. We’re also looking for someone who believes that establishing valuable relationships with audiences informs channel-specific tactics, not the other way around.
This full-time role will focus on design but also on leadership and process. As we’ve grown we’ve found the need to build design resources and creative thinking from within, and to scale these capabilities across the agency. This role will work closely with agency leadership to build our visual storytelling practice, lead and execute design standards for the agency and develop visual, social and digital content — from concept to execution — for the agency and the technology brands we serve at every stage.
Culture is important to us. The right candidate must be an inquisitive professional and collaborative colleague. We — and our clients — win when everyone comes together with diverse viewpoints and skills to build and execute plans that are integrated and audience-centric. Doing that requires curiosity, collaboration, creativity and passion. We’re excited to find that person and add even more value for our clients.
Interested? Apply here.
Here’s what we’re looking for in a candidate:
- Creative direction and execution: You easily balance brainstorming big creative ideas with realistic execution. You are able to see and bring to life a story with visual design across media and platforms.
- Visual storyteller: You can take an idea and present it visually in pitch decks, strategy presentations and a variety of creative assets.
- Entrepreneurial drive: You want to build and grow a business while helping clients and staff alike understand the power of visual storytelling.
- Production and sourcing: You’re a skilled creative manager who can source and align external resources with internal teams toward the common goal of bringing stories to life across various formats and distribution channels. You understand the importance of sourcing brand-safe and brand-aligned assets (images, video, music, etc.) for visual storytelling needs. You’re comfortable speaking to clients about image rights and best practices for licensing creative assets.
- Program/project management: You’re organized and capable of overseeing multiple programs at once. You can manage staff and deadlines, delegate effectively and break big projects into smaller parts.
- Travel: While this role doesn’t involve weekly travel, it does require that you can travel to and from client/new business meetings as needed.
Here’s what you would be doing day to day:
- Work with agency executives to formalize Bateman Group’s design methodology and oversee the daily process of creating great work
- Partner with PR and content teams to expand campaigns by employing visual storytelling to grow audiences and engage people in new ways
- Contribute to the story design process by offering creative solutions, such as visual assets, social cards, presentation decks, print and digital concepts, iconography and illustrations
- Infuse the cultural zeitgeist into creative strategies in order to motivate audiences and compel people to action
- Maintain the quality and integrity of brand requirements throughout the entire design process
Strategy and planning
- Lead brainstorming to develop creative concepts for integrated campaigns that are aligned with business strategies and drive measurable outcomes
- Work with senior leads and agency executives to plan and forecast the resources, staffing and support required to successfully produce excellent work and scale the design capability across offices and client projects
Setting and stewarding the agency’s design standards
- Partner with agency executives to operationalize our design resources to scale quickly
- Oversee and lead all design efforts from presentations to branding for the agency
- Develop and oversee design best practices for the agency and our client work
- Partner with leadership to build a team and manage design resources with internal teams and external resources, when needed
- Manage and mentor staff with an eye on building a strong culture around visual storytelling
- Create resources to nurture design and visual storytelling skills across the agency
- Bring a strong network of creative agencies and freelancers
- Advise clients and teams on visual design strategy and best practices, connecting client objectives with realistic workflows and tactics
- Work with account team leads to manage program goals and budget; partner with senior leads to upsell and expand programs
- Support the design of new business presentations
- Effectively sell in creative concepts to stakeholders and clients
Bonus points for any of the following:
- Any experience in HTML5, motion design (After Affects) or video editing (Adobe Premier or Final Cut Pro) is a HUGE plus
- Familiarity or interest in technology companies and startups
- Prior PR and/or digital agency experience
Additional requirements for the senior designer role:
- Minimum of seven years experience as a visual designer or storyteller with experience in digital and print formats
- Minimum of two years of management experience; can demonstrate the ability to build a team and practice area
- Ability to meet deadlines, manage projects and work well within a team environment
- A solid working knowledge of the latest versions of applicable programs — Mac OS, Adobe CS, Sketch, Principle, Google Slides (preferred presentation software at Bateman Group),Keynote, Powerpoint
- Production knowledge of print and digital standards (video/motion experience is a plus)
- Completed a bachelor’s degree or higher in Graphics, Visual Communications, Fine Arts or related field of study.
- Strong portfolio showing client work and demonstrating a range of media, including print, presentation visuals, digital design, and marketing campaigns